Thursday, December 9, 2010

LIfe Is Too Short To Save The Best For Last

My brother who is 47 was diagnosed with colon cancer that had moved to his liver in October 2009. Needless to say the last year has been an up and down roller coaster BUT he is still fighting!
 Normally my brothers chemo schedule is every monday. With the adjustments in medications and with his Dr's permission he was able to skip the treatment the the week of Thanksgiving. So on that Thursday he was actually feeling pretty good. As usual we all met at my parents house at Lake Martin. It was a beautiful day, perfect for sitting outside and enjoying the beautiful fall colors. We have a pretty large family. The house was overflowing with conversation, laughter and way too much food as usual. It was all good...the food of course was good....but the LAUGHTER was better. He actually  had an appetite which isnt very common these days.
I say all of that because this past week we found out my brother was "disappointed" at Thanksgiving. WHAT? REALLY? WHY? was how we all reacted. He told my sister in law that he was disappointed at Thanksgiving because he actually ate so much at lunch that he didnt get to try any of the desserts. He told her that next year he wanted Thanksgiving day to be nothing but desserts or atleast eat the desserts first and not save the best for last. Of course they both burst into laughter. My sister in law then said "honey we live in the USA we can do whatever we want and we do not have to wait till next year." So one phone call led to another and here is what is happening. This Sunday after early service, my parents, my siblings and their families, aunts, uncles and cousins and some special family friends are all gathering at my parents house. We will fill the house with all homemade desserts and wonderful coffee. It is being referred to as "Dessert Sunday". Anytime I am with my family it is a great time. I can only imagine how much fun we are going to have all jacked up on sugar and caffeine. 
Once again, my brother, the wise ole owl has pointed out that we have been doing things in the wrong order. This Sunday we are going to do it right...we are not going to save the BEST FOR LAST, we are actually having ONLY the BEST!

Just for the record-I am running a 5k the day before so yes, I will be sampling the desserts.

No comments:

Post a Comment